The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
This major/certificate is undergoing revisions. Please consult a counselor or program coordinator.
The Interior Design Retail major prepares students for employment in a number of interior retail merchandising areas such as, home accessory, countertop surface, wholesale design, do-it-yourself merchandise, floor coverings, furniture, lighting, paint, and wallcoverings.
For students interested in pursuing a Certificate of Achievement, a certificate program is available.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
- Recognize appropriate color coordination, proportion, scale, balance, and room layout for the specific needs of the client;
- utilize effective sales techniques in a retail setting;
- demonstrate ability to recognize and select materials appropriate to clients' needs for a project;
- present design options visually to clients;
- demonstrate the ability to purchase, deliver, and install goods for clients and follow-up with good business practices geared to the interior design industry; and
- use critical thinking skills to analyze interior retail merchandising methods and applications.