The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
The Journalism: Digital Certificate of Achievement provides students with an introduction to and skills in digital journalism and provides hands-on preparation for entry-level work in web journalism and/or an overlay of digital skills for recent journalism graduates and seasoned print journalists.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Develop, create, report, research and produce technically well-executed news and feature stories for the web and/or broadcast news using combinations of text, images, audio, video and social media.
- Use new website, audio and video software systems to produce multimedia stories.
- Write news and feature stories on print and web deadlines using foundational journalism skills such as developing story ideas, conducting research, interviewing sources, and applying proper grammar and Associated Press Style.
- Exercise news judgment and apply knowledge of online journalism ethical, legal and content issues to real-life situations.
- Analyze and evaluate multimedia stories for content, aesthetics and technical quality.