The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
This major/certificate is undergoing revisions. Please consult a counselor or program coordinator.
The Interior Design: Retail Merchandising Certificate of Achievement prepares students for employment in a number of interior retail merchandising areas such as, home accessory, countertop surface, wholesale design, do-it-yourself merchandise, floorcoverings, furniture, lighting, paint, and wallcoverings.
For students interested in pursing an Associate degree, a major program is available. More information about the Interior Design programs can be found at the Consumer and Family Studies website.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon Successful completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Recognize appropriate color coordination, proportion, scale, balance, and room layout for the specific needs of the client;
- utilize effective sales techniques in a retail setting;
- demonstrate ability to recognize and select materials appropriate to clients' needs for a project;
- present design options visually to clients; and
- demonstrate the ability to purchase, deliver, and install goods for clients and follow-up with good business practices geared to the interior design industry.